Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Popular Disney movie “Newsies” is adapted into a stage musical in 2011 with outstanding choreography, talented actors, and that leaves audiences believing that dreams do come true.

Mackenzie Krueger, Journalist

24400970242_6ffc40e657_b
Famous musical director and creator Harvey Fierstein created the musical “Newsies” based off the original movie, directed by Kenny Ortega and co-written by Bob Tzudiker and Noni White. The show takes place during the newsboy strike in 1899 and follows the leader of newsboys, Jack Kelly, as he longs to run away to Santa Fe but decides to Seize the Day and fight for what’s right for him and the Newsies. I saw this show back in 2015 with fellow SHS student Laura Carlson, and we both thoroughly enjoyed the show, as did a few others that I interviewed as well.

Laura Carlson and I @ Newsies

Mackenzie Krueger
Laura Carlson and I @ Newsies

Personally I thought the entire show was spectacular. First off, the choreography is like no other musical that I have ever seen before. The Newsies are incredibly flexible and can flip and jump all over the stage. Also, their dances are so well rehearsed and the dancers were always so in sync with each other. Another aspect that I loved was the very uplifting storyline. The show teaches you to never give up on yourself, the goals you have, and the people who want to help you achieve them. Some of my favorite characters include Katherine Plumber, Davey, Crutchy, and of course, Jack Kelly. All of which have spectacular singing voices and are insanely talented actors. My favorite song is “Carrying the Banner” because it’s the first song in the show where you see all the Newsies together on stage and the music is so upbeat and fun to listen to.

I also interviewed a few other people who have seen the musical and/or have seen the movie version of “Newsies.” They include fellow SHS students Jaren Martin, Autumn Fosteson, and Laura Carlson.

Laura Carlson

Laura Carlson

Laura Carlson, a junior at SHS, has seen the musical “Newsies” twice and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Laura says, “I love me some Newsies,” and she absolutely loved the insane choreography. She is also a big fan of United States history and loved learning about the newsboys strike through the songs and storyline of the show. She first saw the show in Chicago with the touring company and loved the show so much that she decided to see it again at the Orpheum Theatre in Minneapolis: “I would 120000% recommend seeing this show to others.” Laura thought the storyline was very well put together and even though it is such a cheesy disney story that must include a love story, it is portrayed in such a powerful way. She says, “It is almost like a Romeo and Juliet story in that Katherine and Jack want to be together but can’t because of everything that is going on.” Her favorite song is Seize the Day because it is the big turning point song where the newsboys are fighting for reduction in price of the newspaper. Even though there are very few female roles in the show, Laura would love to play the secret girl “newsboy” that blends in with the rest of them.

Jaren Martin

Jaren Martin

Jaren Martin, a senior at SHS, has seen the movie “Newsies” and has listened to the soundtrack for the musical. What he most enjoyed about the movie was every little song because they made him so happy. He said “They all have great lyrics to them and are great if you want to get the feels too.” Jaren would love to watch the movie again and would definitely recommend that others watch it also. What he loves about the storyline is the historic aspect of it and how important it was [newsboys strike] back then. People often forget about his time in history and he says that this movie sheds some light on it that makes it easier to understand. Jaren’s favorite song is “The World Will Know” because that is one of his screams songs for when he is really [mad], and he can turn it up and just yell out the lyrics. If he could play any character in “Newsies” it would be Davey because he loves the song that he sings. Even though the lead character Jack Kelly is a great character, Jaren thinks it would be more fun to play Davey.

Autumn Fosteson

Autumn Fosteson

Autumn Fosteson, a senior at SHS, has seen both the movie and has listened to the musical’s soundtrack. Autumn thought the movie was really well put together and that it is such a fun movie to watch that is filled with tons of energy. As for recommendation to others, she thinks the movie would be more enjoyable to those who like to listen to musical theatre show tunes and who understand the history behind the show. Therefore, since Autumn enjoys these things, she says she would definitely see it again. Regarding the storyline, she says, “I loved it but it’s because it’s something that I’m interested in and that interested me so it won’t be something everyone will love, but nothing really is something that everyone will love.” Autumns favorite song in the show is “King of New York,” even though it is very cliche, but it is also very catchy and it has a lot of life and energy to it. She says “I don’t actually know any of the newsboys by name so I don’t know which character I would want to play.” Autumn later describes her desired character to be the leader of the newsboys, also known as, Jack Kelly.

I would definitely see the musical “Newsies” again, and I hope to do so very soon. This show is perfect for those who enjoy an uplifting story with great song, insane choreography, and a touching love story. I 100% recommend that you see this show at some point in your life because I promise that you won’t be able to get the tunes out of your head.

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

SMS annual winter choir concert

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

SHS Band plays a Winter Wonderland

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

Sartell Middle School band concert!

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

SHS Presents: The Mouse That Roared

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

“The Book of Mormon,” is it worth seeing?

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

UrineTown is your town

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

Paramount hosts 36th annual High School Art Exhibition and Competition

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

Sartell one act takes first at subsections, advances to Alexandria

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

Come to the Drowsy Chaperone auditions!

• Carrying The Banner Through Sartell

Arts and Theatre

Pamela Sukham spreads creativity school wide

Carrying The Banner Through Sartell