Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Brandan Walz, Journalist

The Sartell girls’ soccer team (7-1) had a very solid week of soccer. They picked up two big wins against Apollo and Rocori, both on the hill.

On Tuesday night the girls’ played Apollo (3-1-1). The game went very well as they won 2-0. They controlled the whole game and played fantastic defense. The Sabres got goals from sophomore mid Brooke Walters and sophomore forward Jenna Eibes. Fantastic goaltending was also a huge part of the win as the Higgins (Sarah Higgins) and Hemmesch (Allie Hemmesch) duo pitched a shutout. Apollo is currently third in the Central Lakes Conference. 

The Sabres used the momentum from Tuesday night’s game to have a big night on Thursday against Rocori (0-4). It was a cold night on the hill but that did not phase the Sabres as they won 7-0. They scored four first half goals and three in the second half. The goals came from senior captain Bria Ferns, senior Jaylia Ellis, senior Laura Leonard, junior Lizzy Minnerath, sophomore Brooke Walters (2), and sophomore Jenna Eibes. The Sabres once again controlled this game, as they had the ball on their side of the field for most of the game. The Sabres solid goaltending continued as Allie Hemmesch and Sarah Higgins combined for another shutout. The defensive success also continued as senior Megan Cook, junior Chloe Yilek, junior Emma Larson, and Lizzy Minnerath keep finding ways to keep the ball out of their net. Rocori is currently in last place in the Central Lakes conference.

We are happy where we are right now, and how were playing but the team knows we need to continue to work harder everyday to continue to get better.”

— Kathryn Gent, senior mid

The Sabres are sitting at the top of the Central Lakes Conference with a record of 7-1 and Brainerd right below them with a record of 5-0-1. The girls hope to continue this success on Saturday as they play Moorhead at 12 P.M. on the hill.

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Girls State Swimming and Diving 2016

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

More than just a game: Sartell vs Alexandria Football

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Brandan and Jimmy’s Sports Talk: Part 2

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Sabres move on to section final

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Girls’ soccer is rolling

• Fall

Homecoming Game

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Sabre football team gives new meaning to the phrase, “home-wreckers”

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Swimming? What’s that?

• Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

Fall

Boys’ soccer losses a hard fought battle

• Fall

Inspired game ends in unfortunate loss

Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins