U of M – Twin Cities

When looking to further your education, The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is a great place for Minnesota students to look into. 

Campus environment 

If you are looking for a large school environment full of different people from all around the country, look no further than the U of M. Ranked as the tenth largest school in the nation, and in the heart of Minnesota’s largest city, this school is perfect for someone who loves an urban climate.

Best known for

The University of Minnesota is very well known for their research opportunities. The Association of American Universities ranked the University of Minnesota as 20th in the nation for research opportunities. 

Colleges 

The University of Minnesota is broken up into 19 different colleges and schools that will help to ensure that you are receiving the education that best suits you. These schools include:

Trust me, the St. Paul campus looks a little more green in the summer. (Greta Foss)
  • Center for Allied Health Programs
  • College of Biological Sciences
  • College of Continuing and Professional Studies
  • School of Dentistry
  • College of Design
  • College of Education and Human Development
  • College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
  • Graduate School
  • Law School
  • College of Liberal Arts
  • Carlson School of Management
  • Medical School
  • School of Nursing
  • College of Pharmacy
  • Hubert H. Humphrey School of Public Affairs
  • School of Public Health
  • College of Science and Engineering
  • College of Veterinary Medicine

Cost of tuition 

The cost of in-state tuition at the U of M is lower than the national average for public colleges, at around 15,254 USD. 

I took a picture with the famous Goldie Gopher, for good luck! (Greta Foss)

My personal experience

Earlier in the year I took a tour of the University of Minnesota and overall, I really enjoyed it. I have always been looking for a large school in or near a metropolitan area, and in the state of Minnesota, it doesn’t get more metropolitan than the Twin Cities. When you are at the U of M, you are never far from the bustling life of the city. The campus is very large, but for the most part, most places are within walking distance from another. The only challenge would be if you were to take any classes on the St. Paul campus, which is across the river. Fortunately, the U of M offers transportation to and from this campus, which makes for only about a 20 minute shuttle ride.

I went on a tour that was dedicated more towards their design program, so I got to see first hand what my education would look like at the U of M. Overall the design program is definitely not one to complain about, but it is very obvious that it is not their most prized college.

I would rate my overall experience on my tour of the University of Minnesota an 8/10.