Top 10 Books to read before they become movies

Sydney Mumm, Journalist

screen-shot-2016-11-02-at-10-15-50-am 10. The Death Cure.

We all know the Maze Runner series, whether you’ve heard of it, watched the movies, or read the books. Most know the story of Thomas, a boy who mysteriously wakes up in a metal box, which brings him to a place called “The Glades.” The Death Cure is the third book in the Maze Runner series. This book has the potential to be a good movie, along with the other two movies, however most sequels are said to not be as good as the original. Rated a 3.77/5 stars on goodreads, this book makes number 10 on books to read before they become movies. “I don’t think there is a right or wrong anymore. Only horrible and not-quite-so-horrible.” – James Dashner, The Death Cure. (Comes out January 12th, 2018)

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-9-08-16-am9. The Girl on the Train.

Rachel takes the same train every day. She always passes a suburban neighborhood where she sees the same couple having breakfast on their deck. Rachel notices something appalling from the view from the train, and she calls the cops. The cops think of Rachel as a prime suspect for what happened to the couple. Not (yet?) being a series, The Girl on the Train makes the list at number 9, and rated 3.86/5 stars on goodreads. “I have never understood how people can blithely disregard the damage they do following their hearts.” –Paula Hawkins, The Girl on the Train. (Came out October 7th, 2016)

monument_148. Monument 14

You leave the house to go to school on any other basic school day. You don’t say goodbye to your mother or father, you don’t tell them how much you love them or how amazing they have been. You don’t turn around to take another look at your house, because you think that it will still be there when you get off the bus. Little did you know, your bus would be trapped inside of a superstore, keeping out the dangers of the tainted air from a chemical weapons spill. The first book in the Monument 14 series takes the reader though the problems that six teenagers, two eighth graders, and six little kids trying to stay alive and get to safety to find their parents again. Making number 8 on the list, this book is ranked a 3.89/5 stars on goodreads. “Sometimes when you’d least expect it, the grief would chop your legs out from under you.” –Emmy Laybourne, Monument 14. (Release date TBD)

7. The Selection (Featured Image)

To find true love, move up in the caste, and to live in a world of endless wealth, 35 girls have the amazing chance to become one of the selected to win the heart of Prince Maxon. America Singer is just another teenage girl. The thing about America is that she doesn’t want to be one of the selected; she only entered because her parents wanted her to, and the wealth that would come to her family if she got selected. America ends up being one of the girls who is chosen, but when she arrives at the palace, will all of her thoughts about the selection change? The first of five books in The Selection series, and ranked 4.16/5 on goodreads, this movie is sure to impress. “True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.” –Kiera Cass, The Selection. (Release date TBD)

timburtonsmissperegrineshomeforpeculiarchildren6. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Sixteen-year-old, Jacob, gets into a horrible family accident, which lands him on an island off of the coast of Wales. He discovers Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, but first travels about the home filled with abandoned hallways and rooms. He meets the children and discovers that they could be dangerous, and are probably isolated on the island for a smart reason. The first of three books of the series and rated 3.86/5 on good reads, this novel is sure to impress. “When someone won’t let you in, eventually you stop knocking.” –Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children. (Came out September 30th, 2016)

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-9-07-13-am5. Before I Fall

Samantha Kingston is a popular high school girl, well, was a popular high school girl. Samantha gets into a horrible car accident with three of her friends, but ends up waking the next morning, only to realize that she has started the day of her death over again, seven times. Samantha soon realizes that even the smallest change during that same day, could change the fate of the death of her and her friends. Rated 3.93/5 on goodreads, this book definitely one to keep on your to read/to watch list. “Here’s another thing to remember: hope keeps you alive. Even when you’re dead, it’s the only thing that keeps you alive.” –Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall. (Comes out April 7th 2017)

ember4. An Ember in the Ashes

In a story set in a world inspired by ancient Rome, main character Laia is fighting to save her brother from imprisonment. They agree to free him, only if she agrees to risk her life and be a spy at the empires best military academy. While being a spy there, she meets Elias, whose dream is to escape the laws the military trains him to enforce. Its then that Laia and Eilas realize that their actions have the power to change the destiny of the empire. Ranking number 4 on the list, it is rated a strong 4.32/5 on goodreads. “Fear is only your enemy if you allow it to be.” –Sabaa Tahir, An Ember in the Ashes. (Release date TBD)

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-9-06-03-am3. Thirteen Reasons Why

Teenage boy, Clay Jensen comes home from a normal day at school and finds a box of cassette tapes sitting on his porch with his name taped to it, but no return address. The tapes were an audio recording of Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush, which committed suicide a few weeks earlier. On the tape, Hannah tells why she had 13 people who were part of the cause of her suicide, and Clay is on the list. The story takes the reader through Clay’s eyes and hears of the cassette tapes to figure out why he is on the list, and who else would be the cause of Hannah Bakers suicide. This book being rated 4.05/5 on goodreads, this book is sure to make an outstanding movie. “No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same.”-Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why. (TV series, release date TBD)

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-8-59-33-am2. Looking for Alaska

Miles (later referred to as Pudge) starts down the road of boarding school, and his whole life is put at rest when he meets Alaska Young, a beautiful, funny, self-destructive, and clever girl that Miles ultimately falls in love with. Alaska takes Miles into her world and, after meeting Alaska, nothing will ever be the same. Following Miles, Alaska, and Miles’s obsession with famous last words, this book is sure to make one incredible movie with a rating for 4.11/5 on goodreads. “So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.” – John Green, Looking for Alaska. (Release Date 2017, TBD)

screen-shot-2016-11-01-at-9-04-03-am1. All the Bright Places

Finch and Violet first meet on the ledge of a bell tower. They come together to find the natural wonders of their states, but find out important discoveries. Finch learns that he can be himself around violet, and finds out that he might not be such an outcast after all. But when Violet expands her world, Finch’s begins to shrink. This heart-gripping novel will take you through the life of a girl who is learning to live from a boy who is trying to die. Rated a 4.2/5 on goodreads, this book is ranked number one on the list of top 10 books to read before they become movies. “We do not remember days, we remember moments.” –Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places. (Release Date 2018, TBD)

• Top 10 Books to read before they become movies

Matt's Movie Corner

La La Land dances its way to seven Golden Globes

Entertainment

Matt’s Movie Corner: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Matt's Movie Corner

Top Five Christmas Movies As Chosen By The LeSabre Staff

Entertainment

Top 5 Brad Pitt Movies to watch this Brad-Pittsmas

Entertainment

Matt’s Movie Corner: Office Christmas Party

Matt's Movie Corner

Matt’s Movie Corner: Moana

• Movies and Books

Top 10 movies that are (almost) as good as their books

Entertainment

Matt’s Movie Corner: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Matt's Movie Corner

Top 5 Ryan Gosling movies to watch this Thanksgosling

Entertainment

Matt’s Movie Corner: Hacksaw Ridge