8 Things To Consider When Picking A College

Come all 2017 Sartell High School graduates and learn the important factors to consider when you choose the college you will be going to next fall.

photo via flickr under the creative commons license

Mackenzie Krueger, Journalist

As the seniors prepare for the next year, filled with new beginnings and adult responsibilities, they must begin to wonder what they want to experience at college. Many factors can either make or break the college experience, so it is important to pick the perfect college for you.

imgres 1) The first thing to look for, which is a more obvious one, is a college that has a great program for your desired major. For example if you are looking to major in something medical, some great schools include Indiana University School of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, and Georgetown University School of Medicine.

imgres
2) Finding clubs or organizations at a college that interest you is also very important. So many fun memories can be made with friends you have met in a specific club. Also, you can experiment with different activities and play new sports that you have never tried before. Some of these sports can be on a varsity team, intramural team, or a small collected group of people to play games such as soccer, football, or even quidditch.

imgres-1
3) In college, you will be spending a lot of time in a dorm. The first year in the dorms is supposed to be the best experience of your college years so, it is important to find a college with dorm life that fits you. When you first tour a college they usually will allow you to view the dorms and at this time you should decide if these rooms fulfill your desires. Another thing you can do is look for reviews on the dorm life through other students or on different college websites.

gpa_logo_2013-svg
4) A typical college admission process involves a “minimum GPA, prerequisite course requirements, and standardized test scores.” Incoming students looking for the right college most often check for schools that fit their range of test scores and grades. Even so, a college may still accept students that don’t meet their GPA and ACT requirements if they have an exceptional amount of extracurricular activities or other impressive achievements.

images
5) The cost of a college can also make or break the decision to go to a specific college. It is important to choose a college that fits in your price range. If you choose a college that is too overpriced for you, there may be a lot of debt coming your way. Even so, most colleges provide some scholarship and financial aid systems you can apply for to help with money issues.

byu_medallion_logo-svg
6) Religious affiliation in a college can either be beneficial or have disadvantages to your experience. It is important to first determine if you are a religious person and then find a college that practices that religion. An example of a college with religious affiliation is Brigham Young University (BYU) which has three locations in Utah, Idaho, and Hawaii. BYU is run by the mormon religion and provides several benefits for people of the mormon faith such as tuition discounts and several churches for religious practice.

images
7) Everyone loves food and when you can’t get mom’s amazing homemade food, it’s important to look for a college that provides it for you. Freshman have been known to gain 15 pounds their first year at college and they more than likely were enjoying the food they were eating. That being said, find a college that has food you enjoy and would love to stuff your face with.

images
8) Something that often worries parents about their kids living on their own at college is their safety within the school. Occasionally student will have classes late at night and will have to walk back to their dorm alone. This allows for some very dangerous encounters including physical and sexual assault. It is important to look for a school with strict safety systems that with insure that your college experience will be full of fun and full of safety.

Remember to have fun at college and take advantage of all the new experiences and get to know as many new people as you can:)

• 8 Things To Consider When Picking A College

Lists: to give you the jist

10 most edited Wikipedia articles in 2016

Lists: to give you the jist

18 things we still haven’t figured out

Lists: to give you the jist

10 reasons cats are cooler than dogs

Entertainment

CRAP, I don’t know what to get them for Christmas!

Lists: to give you the jist

8 ways studying won’t suck the life out of you

Lists: to give you the jist

8 ways to spend your MEA weekend

Lists: to give you the jist

The most beautiful places to visit in Minnesota this fall

Lists: to give you the jist

Turn that frown upside down

Lists: to give you the jist

20 things to do when you are feeling down

Lists: to give you the jist

Reasons why dogs are the best part of people’s lives