Filed under Fall, Sports

Swimming? What’s that?

Erich Martens

Erich Martens

Who doesn’t just love the football, volleyball, and soccer teams? They sure seem to be the dominating fall sports here at Sartell High School.

To many peoples’ surprise, the Sabres Girls’ Swim and Dive team is actually still undefeated, making them the only undefeated fall sport at Sartell this year.

When it comes to the Olympics, swimming is the most popular sport, but when it comes to the SHS Girls’ Team, they’re lucky if they get three student fans (shout out to all the parents though #represent).

The football team gets lots of publicity throughout the school and social media. Fans are constantly being updated on the schedule of home and away games, what to wear, and what the weather will be like on the day of the game. Swimming on the other hand, has had little to no publicity. I’m sure all of the swimmers would love some attention from the rest of their peers and friends. If people can drive 2 hours and 45 minutes to Moorhead to support the football team, but can’t drive to the school in which most students attend (daily), that is just really sad (The record for a home duel meet is 13 fans, and most of them didn’t even stay the whole time.).

A few Sabre swimmers at the MN State Meet in 2015

Julie Kouba

The swimmers of Sartell have taken 1st place at sections for the past nine years, as well as 1st place at conference for the past seven years. Sections were even in Sartell last year, but did many students show up? You guessed it: nope.

The swim team works extremely hard, conditioning all season long. After-school practices can last up to three and a half hours at a time. This does not include morning practices, which start at 5:45 AM and end at 7:30 AM (sometimes 7:45 AM). Mondays and Fridays swimmers have both morning and afternoon practices. Swimmers also have practice on Saturday, which starts at 8:00 AM and ends usually around 11:15 AM. Some practices, the swimmers will swim as much as 10,000 yards. That is about 5.7 miles (keep in mind that one mile of swimming is equivalent to four miles of running).

Many people around the school believe that when one swimmer goes to state, the whole team goes. This in fact, is not the case. To make it to the state meet, an individual and/or relays have to be faster than certain times. Even if you are faster than the state cut times, it does not matter unless you get those specific times at section finals. For example, if one were to get a state cut on the first day of sections, and not on the second day, they would not go to state. The reason so many swimmers go to state each year is simply because they work their butts off and only complain about their sport because nobody cares (which happens more than it should). Last year the swim team sent 14 swimmers and divers to state. Some schools don’t even have one person make it.

All Sartell athletics and activities are important, but it would be nice if the support would be evenly distributed. The swimmers would greatly appreciate seeing some friends in the stands. In the meantime… GO SABRES!!

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Girls State Swimming and Diving 2016

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

More than just a game: Sartell vs Alexandria Football

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Brandan and Jimmy’s Sports Talk: Part 2

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Sabres move on to section final

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Girls’ soccer is rolling

• Fall

Homecoming Game

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Sabre football team gives new meaning to the phrase, “home-wreckers”

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Girls’ soccer picks up two big wins

• Swimming? What’s that?

Fall

Boys’ soccer losses a hard fought battle

• Fall

Inspired game ends in unfortunate loss

Swimming? What’s that?