Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Jordan Roller, Journalist

Lacrosse is a sport that has been around before Christopher Colombus found America.  It was played by the Native Americans. ExceptImage result for fastest growing sport lacrosse then the game was played over miles of land to please “The Creator” or one of the Native American gods. The game used to settle arguments and was played for land. Now the game is truly emerging and known as the fastest growing sport in America.

According to uslacrosse.org, U.S. lacrosse reported a 3.5% increase in participation from youth to high school aged kids in the years of 2013-2014.  That might not sound like a whole lot, but it actually marked the eleventh consecutive year of a net increase of 20,000 new lacrosse players. This increase was also shown in the years 2012-2013 where the youth lacrosse participation grew 3.6%, raising the total amount of boys and girls playing to just over 400,000 youth. Not only are these numbers huge, but these new youth participating are joining in non-traditional lacrosse areas in the west coast. West coast expansion is highlighted by the University of Denver winning the national championship because they are the first team to win a National Championship that is not touching the Atlantic Ocean according to sportsmbablog.com

Not only has the game started to grow in the United States but even more so outside of American borders. There are currently 52 members of the Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) with the most recent to join is Taiwan in the South Pacific according to filacrosse.com. The other important international growth is through the organization Fields of Growth. Fields of Growth is a non-profit organizations that takes donations so that poorer countries can play. They have so far helped Uganda and Jamaica have national teams. Uganda was even able to compete at the international level and got their first win over Korea in overtime.

The next step for lacrosse is to keep gaining exposure and continuing to grow on all levels. Many experts believe and FIL Director of Development Tom Hayes believes lacrosse can become an Olympic sport by the year 2020. Other than the Olympics, lacrosse keeps getting more and more television exposure. This will be executed at the college and pro levels with contracts with ESPN, ESPN 2, CBS Sports Network, Big ten Network, etc…  Image result for lacrosse on tv

Hopefully, “The Creator” is happily pleased with the growth and expansion of his game, and will help keep the game growing.

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Sartell dance takes the conference

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Boys’ basketball upsets Alexandria

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Boys Hockey Falls to Brainerd, Girls Pick up a Win

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Super Bowl Predictions

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

NFL Playoff Updates

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Opinion

Sports are more than just a pastime.

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Brandan and Jimmy’s Sports Talk (The Last One)

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Boys’ Swimming: A brief update and why you should care

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

More than just a game

• Lacrosse: fastest growing sport

Sports

Seventh grade boys are bringing the heat

Lacrosse: fastest growing sport